So flavour choice of the day to try is lemon!
I was a bit like a bull in a china shop today…didn’t stop to read the recipe before I made a mistake. I might have made macarons a few times already, but I must remember that I haven’t yet memorised the recipe. I can just hear my mother saying: One must always read a recipe before one commences to cook!
While they are busy cooking, maybe it’s time I share the recipe I have been using with you:
- 3 eggs whites
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- food colouring
- 1¼cups icing sugar
- 1 cup Almond meal
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, extra
- Line oven tray with baking paper or tray liner (I have a reusable one)
- beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar and food colouring and beat until sugar disolves. transfer mixture to large bowl, fold in sifted icing sugar and almond meal, in two batches.
- Spoon mixture into large piping bag with 1.5cm plain tube. Pipe 36 x 4cm rounds onto tray (s). Tap tray firmly on bench top to help macaron spread slightly. Allow to stand for 15mins.
- meanwhile, preheat oven to somewhere between 130 & 150 (this is the part where trial and error teaches you what temperature.)
- Bake for 20 mins. stand on trays for 5 mins and transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Sandwich with ganache.
So that’s the basic recipe I have been using each time. Today’s mistake was to put the sugar in straight away when I started to beat the eggs, so it will be interesting to see what result it yields.